No Hdmi Audio in Windows or Ubuntu.

Jun 1, 2019 - 11:02 AM

• I've tried windows 10 (1809) installed on the emmc, no audio output device is installed. In device manager no drivers for audio at all.

In Ubuntu 18.10 cosmic installed on sd card aplay -l lists multiple outputs. Speaker-test produced no output. Powered with an xu4 5v4a plug into baby breakout board hdmi cable to samsung tv. Bluetooth audio works fine.

This post was edited Jun 1, 2019 02:48PM
  • The only resolution I have found is lubantu 19.04 then it works from install.

• Per a reddit post For windows you need to install Intel SST Audio Device (WDM) driver, which for whatever reason Windows cannot find and I cannot find a direct download link from Intel, but can be obtained through a driver manager software.

• In Ubuntu 18.10, I forget exactly where, it may be Sound the output setting defaults to Analog. There is an option to change output to HDMI and all is well and sound blares. Sorry I forgot where the exact setting was.

• HELP NEEDED!
    More of a nubie than a pro... supposedly the fix for HDMI audio for the version of Ubuntu on the emmc is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Atomic_Pi/wiki/index#wiki_fix_for_hdmi_audio
    In it, the author points to a config file at https://pastebin.com/raw/ztaEfCj0
    However, I have no idea how to run the config file and the screen prints he shows at
    http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2017/10/fixing-broken-hdmi-audio.html is too blurry to see how its done.
    Can anyone tell me how to do the step to run the configuration file???
    Thanks

This post was edited Dec 7, 2019 06:48PM
  • If you click on the images, then download them to your PC, you can view them in an image viewer. When you zoom in, the text is clear.

• Log on Logan, his post is just alright.
    The best and confortable way to go is to install Lubuntu Disco 19.04 from the DLI system image. Then the sound cards work fluently and are easily switched back and forth. All applications that required sound are interfaced through the good embedded version of pulseaudio

• 20.04 sound over HDMI works like a charm.
    I bet you can put 5V to the first pin as well, and have diminished volume audio over the audio pins.

• Yves BARBIN (@yvesbarbin):
    Log on Logan, his post is just alright.
    The best and confortable way to go is to install Lubuntu Disco 19.04 from the DLI system image. Then the sound cards work fluently and are easily switched back and forth. All applications that required sound are interfaced through the good embedded version of pulseaudio

Having sound work out of the box for only a single non-LTS version of the DLI supplied images is a travesty. They should be ashamed.

If they lack the expertise and.or manpower they should only be supplying a single LTS image, either 18.04 or 20.04 and perhaps its minimal version where all the hardware works.

• ProDigit (@prodigit):
    20.04 sound over HDMI works like a charm.
    I bet you can put 5V to the first pin as well, and have diminished volume audio over the audio pins.

I did and it works, and its Mayfield audio with external speakers is the default, but if you don't supply 12V or 5V to the 12V power pin it will appear to not work.

But the sound over HDMI doesn't work like a charm, as the setting in pavucontrol that changes it from from Mayfield to HDMI doesn't stick after a reboot.

The only reason I'm still screwing around with the DLI 20.04 image is I do have a use envisioned where I'll need the on-board sound, class-D amp and external speakers.

Standard Ubuntu 20.04 install has HDMI audio work, but you lose the Mayfield audio, dev kit camera module, GPIO, and Bosch sensor support. Not an issue for my first three Atomic Pi, but is for my 4th, hence I'm here trying to get the DLI LTS images working adequately.

Both the DLI and stock Ubuntu images have a serious issue with it locking up on shutdown or reboot. Not too serious if you are shutting down to pull the plug, but a showstopper for an IOT type application that might need to be rebooted by a watchdog timer. I've posted the solution I found in another thread here.

IMHO recommending 19.04, which is about to go End of Life is terrible advice.

If you what to use USB AI accelerators on your Atomic Pi you'll need 18.04 or 20.04 for things like Intel OpenVINO or the Google Coral TPU accelerator. I'm finding the DLI 20.04 image is closer to usable out of the box than the 18.04 image is, especially if you need sound, but the version of OpenVINO for 20.04 drops support for the original Myriad NCS stick, it only supports the newer NCS2. Minor issue unless you already have used the NCS on a Raspberry Pi and are looking to upgrade your base system.

This post was edited Dec 22, 2020 02:40PM