Atomic Pi eMMC reimage

May 23, 2019 - 9:37 PM

• I have seen questions about re-loading/imaging the Atomic Pi's eMMC but I also read that the images available can't be used that way. I understand I could use those files and Balena-Etcher to create a SD card but there is an issue with EFI Bios not seeing the SD card and then I read to use dd command to perform the copy to the eMMC.

• I had to use the write my sd with Rufus set to gpt partition table and write it with dd in order to boot properly

• Good Info Logan Carey, I am not familiar with Rufus and the use of dd to copy new image onto the Atomic pi, could you list specific steps? Thanks in advance

• I went the USB 3 way with a 32g thumbdrive. Got enough attention, long enough from lubuntu to format the drive and download Etcher and the download Raspbian Stretch (for x86) and then Etched it to the 32G drive. Been booting from it since.

• A bootable pendrive made non-bootable? Sure, just remove the operating system or boot files. In most cases, though, since you’re blindly writing an image to the pendrive, you’d probably be better off saving the files you want to another device, then formatting the pendrive. (There are other ways to make a pendrive bootable and, if you understand what you’re doing, you can undo just the boot part.)

However, if the USB drive comes before the hard drive in the computer’s boot order, some computers may just fail on the pendrive’s inability to boot, rather than bypassing it and trying to boot from the next device in the boot order.

What I would suggest is uninstall and create a new live USB using etcher. I found this website helpful: https://etcherpc.com/

This post was edited Jan 13, 2021 02:32AM