Out of space for upgrade?

Nov 5, 2020 - 6:31 AM

• Hello folks,
    A couple of weeks ago my api, which is running the original Ubuntu with all updates applied, said there was an OS upgrade available. I backed my data up and told it to proceed but it fell over having insufficient space in root. I've read much of many people's struggles to get the api to use external media for its OS, which doesn't look encouraging.
    Is there any way to do this upgrade or am I stuck with what I've got, does anyone know please? Thanks!

• Yeah the eMMC is kinda short on capacity, I ran into the same problem, I tried running vanilla Ubuntu, and it filled up the eMMC so completely that there were 0B left and it would just be completely stuck at the login screen. So my solution was to buy a 32 GB micro SD card and install Xubuntu on it. I changed the BIOS boot order and it works fine. I've been running it for a month or two like that, I use mine on the non GUI terminal screen to run a Terraria game server 24/7, and it does so flawlessly(with the notable exception of needing 5.3 GB of swap VRAM in addition to the 2GB of physical RAM), except when I decide to experiment with it, which I usually fudge up. So yeah, my advice is to use a MicroSD card as the main disk and use the eMMC as additional storage.

• Hi,
    Thanks for your informative post, I'm happy to do the same as you but only as long as I retain all hardware working and full GUI functionality, as it is now. I use it for graphics, audio and video editing as well as the Net of course.
    Can you tell me how you got to the BIOS in order to change the boot order please?

This post was edited Nov 7, 2020 02:41PM
  • Joy Parr:
    Hi,
    Thanks for your informative post, I'm happy to do the same as you but only as long as I retain all hardware working and full GUI functionality, as it is now. I use it for graphics, audio and video editing as well as the Net of course.
    Can you tell me how you got to the BIOS in order to change the boot order please?

To enter BIOS, repeatedly tap I think it's the Tab key to enter BIOS. I'm not 100% certain, other common keys to try are Home, Backspace, F12, and F2.
    I'm not sure if the APi will be powerful enough for video editing, that's a job I reserve for my PC, but by all means try it, I'm curious! Do note that on my particular APi and Xubuntu install, I have a buggy GUI. It leaves phantom cursors everywhere and gives all sorts of weird effects when using it, but I suspect that's a problem only I've run into, it's probably a simple graphics driver problem. Could also be my KVM switch.
    Good luck!

• JT Alexander (@jtalexander):
    To enter BIOS, repeatedly tap I think it's the Tab key to enter BIOS. I'm not 100% certain, other common keys to try are Home, Backspace, F12, and F2.
    I'm not sure if the APi will be powerful enough for video editing, that's a job I reserve for my PC, but by all means try it, I'm curious! Do note that on my particular APi and Xubuntu install, I have a buggy GUI. It leaves phantom cursors everywhere and gives all sorts of weird effects when using it, but I suspect that's a problem only I've run into, it's probably a simple graphics driver problem. Could also be my KVM switch.
    Good luck!

Hi,
    Many thanks for your help!
    After weeks away from this issue, I've now installed Lubuntu 20.04 onto a Micro SD card and booted it. I updated and then upgraded with apt-get straight away (and as expected there were many packages including a grub update).
    The reboot failed, hanging after the grub menu with a live mouse pointer but a black screen. However, after pulling and reinserting the Micro SD card (which looked OK on another machine) I reinserted it and it booted just fine.
    WiFi didn't work immediately. Firstly the nm got distracted by the fact that I had a (downstream!) Ethernet connection live, so I disconnected that temporarily. Next it took a good few minutes to correctly recognise my upstream WiFi connection but then it was fine.
    So I fired up YouTube and... no sound. Cranked up the PaVuControl, selected the Playback tab and changed from Mayfield Audio Analog Stereo to Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor... and got sound, through the HDMI screen speakers.
    So after a bit of faffing around everything is now working perfectly on Lubuntu 20.04 and I'm a very happy girl! :-D
    Joy

• Glad to hear you got it working!

• Registered and signed on here today.
    Just got my Atomic Pi, with large breakout board. Not yet set up and running!!!!
    To comment on Out of space for upgrade : If the kernel gets upgraded, usually the old kernel is saved. Another upgrade will get you an extra saved kernel, etc., etc.The old ones can be deleted.
    On another topic: I'm awaiting arrival of a CNC 3018-PRO router -- something with which I have absolutely no experience - and am wondering if the APi can be used in conjunction with this beast????